My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, April 29, 2016

Kittens on the roof, continued

A couple of weeks ago I posted about how Misty the cat ...



... had kittens and they appeared to be on the roof, where I couldn't see them or get at them, only hear them. Yesterday, as I was mowing the back yard, I heard a kitten again that sounded really upset. I followed the sound to a slopping part of the roof, and then a kitten fell off onto some leaves at my feet. I couldn't see or hear any other kittens, so I took the kitten to the vet with a donation, so they would find him a home. I was afraid if I waited until he was older, I wouldn't be able to catch him and he would become another semi-feral cat living in my yard ... not the greatest life for a kitty. I was so hoping Misty just had the one baby.

But a couple of hours later, there were more kitten sounds and Misty appeared, carrying another kitten. I grabbed him up but then heard even more kitten sounds from that slopping area of the roof. There three more kittens were slowly sliding towards the edge. I got a chair and managed to reach up and grab them before they fell. Then into a cat bed in a big box in the garage.

Today I called the vet and asked if I could bring in the others for an additional donation. They said ok. Poor kittens, in a scary new environment without their mom - I hope they find homes where people love them. Poor Misty, her babies taken away from her all of a sudden, not knowing what's become of them. I cried on the way home from the vet in the taxi. I'm really not cut out for this stuff.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Dyan said...

Hi Crystal,

I can imagine how heart breaking that must have been for you! Please know that you did the right thing - the little kitty we adopted a few months ago was found with her mom and litter mates. The SPCA thought they were feral but she's turned out to be the most amazing cat. I'm sure Misty's babies will find loving homes and maybe you'll finally be able to catch Misty too!

Dyan

5:55 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Dyan :) Thanks for the encouragement. I've started feeding Misty some canned food once a day, hoping she will get more used to me ... next step: feeding it to her inside the cat carrier. Maybe that will allow me to eventually catch her. It actually worked with two of the other semi-feral kitties, Hansel and Gretel.

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Dyan said...

I'm sure it will work - you definitely have the patience for it :) It's so heartwarming to read about your love and dedication for these kitties!

4:41 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Mostly terror actually :)

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Dyan said...

Haha! I understand that too ;)

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home