My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, April 08, 2015

The week of movies: day 3



The movie for today was Interstellar ...

a British-American 2014 science fiction epic film directed by Christopher Nolan, starring Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain and Michael Caine. The film features a crew of astronauts who travel through a wormhole in search of a new home for humanity.

I thought the movie was really good - great acting, a character-driven story, very nice effects, pretty good science. I loved the robots! You can see one of them in action in this scene - he's the one who looks a bit like a stainless steel refrigerator :) ...



I don't want to give away all that happens, but here's the beginning of a review by Richard Roeper of the Chicago Sun-Times ...

What a beautiful and epic film is “Interstellar,” filled with great performances, tingling our senses with masterful special effects, daring to be openly sentimental, asking gigantic questions about the meaning of life and leaving us drained and grateful for the experience.

Christopher Nolan’s most ambitious work yet — and we’re talking about the architect of the “Dark Knight” trilogy — is clearly influenced by “2001: A Space Odyssey,” and it contains some of the most memorable, most breathtaking outer space scenes since Kubrick’s masterpiece, but there’s as much spirituality as science at play here.

Here is a Hollywood blockbuster about wormholes and the theory of relativity and black holes and extra dimensions, but its theme song could well be “All You Need Is Love.” ...


As I watched it, I couldn't help comparing it to another similar movie in which Matthew McConaughey starred ... Contact. I think the film is well worth a watch. Here's a trailer ...


4 Comments:

Anonymous Henry said...

Hi Crystal - it has been a while since I dropped by. I hope all is well with you and your sister.

When I saw the DVD in the store I didn't have much hopes but it was actually a very beautiful film on many levels.

Henry

1:55 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Henry,

Thanks, I hope all is well with you too.

I also was surprised by how good the movie was - I liked it more than I thought I would :)

2:44 PM  
Blogger Deacon Denny said...

I loved this movie. It was first of all fun to watch, with futuristic science and alien landscapes. It also teased me with fundamental questions, such as "What is the nature of Time/Causality?" or "What is Mind?" Plus it's a fairly happy ending. And I too loved the associations you can make with McConaughey and Contact.

4:02 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Denny,

Yeah, I love the outer space stuff - the wormhole and the black hole depictions were pretty good, I thought.

And so many questions, like you mention. Also, how do you choose between your family and society, do human really deserve a chance on another planet after ruining (in the film) this one?

And I do really like happy endings :)

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home