My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

See? ...

It's not just me who thinks Francis' attribution of clericism to the idea of women cardinals was spurious: Is calling for women cardinals an act of clericalism? by Scott Alessi at US Catholic ...

[...] Well, the Italian newspaper La Stampa asked the man himself [Francis] in a new interview, resulting in the following exchange:

May I ask you if the Church will have women cardinals in the future?

“I don’t know where this idea sprang from. Women in the Church must be valued not 'clericalised'. Whoever thinks of women as cardinals suffers a bit from clericalism.”

Now that's an interesting take on the subject. I've heard people who want to have women as cardinals be accused of heresy, or just of wishful thinking, but never of clericalism.

I wonder, though, if it is also clericalism to assume cardinals must be ordained. Or is the act of clericalism assuming that top Vatican posts must be held by cardinals, or at least by priests and bishops? Is it clericalism to only allow cardinals a vote in choosing the pope? Is Francis only furthering the notion of clericalism by even naming cardinals in the first place? ......

1 Comments:

Anonymous Henry said...

Experience has taught me that the same word means different things to different people – so I am curious to know what Scott’s and the Pope’s definition of the word "clericalism" is. Yours too, Crystal.

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home