My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, June 03, 2013

Three Jesuits

- Astronomer Brother Guy Consolmagno SJ discusses the roundabout way he became a Jesuit. I kind of knew this about him, having read his book, but still it was interesting ('cept he's wrong about cats ;) ...



- Here's a video with Larry Gillicj SJ. It's interesting because I've read a lot of his homilies and listened to some of his audio retreats at Creighton University's Daily Reflection page. I'd never realized that he's blind ...



- And a TED talk from Fr. Greg Boyle SJ. He has such a good sense of humor ...



6 Comments:

Anonymous Richard said...

I had the privilege of attending one of Fr. Gillick's retreats several years ago, right after I was baptized. He is a very engaging and helpful person. He read from a Braille bible during mass and spoke a bit about how loosing his vision as boy affected the course of his life. I think he would like to know you.

1:36 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Richard,

Interesting! I've listened to a few of his audio retreats and really like his way of seeing things - he reads of poetry in them too. So you weren't raised a Catholic?

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Richard said...

Nope, my dad described himself as a secular humanist, but his best friend was a laicised priest who worked with Ceasar Chavez and the farm workers . However it didn't occur to me to become Catholic until I was in my 40's, I was baptized around 2005. I think I found Creighton's website through your blog. I found the whole conversion process baffling and hard to explain to friends and family. Your blog was very helpful :)

10:19 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

I had read your comment at my email but couldn't find it here. Blogger's autonomous spam filter strikes again.

Hard for me to explain to my family too. Interesting how many people are adult converts.

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Richard said...

Funny, thanks for retrieving that. I'd almost convinced myself that I hadn't sent it:0

11:35 AM  
Blogger Jana said...

What a wonderful, moving talk -- thank you, Crystal.

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home