My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

"Shakespeare knew everything."

Watching Beauty and the Beast - mushy, I know, but the first season DVD set was just sitting there at the library, begging someone to take it home, so ;) In this episode, Vincent gives Catherine Shakespeare's sonnets, with this one bookmarked ......

SONNET 29

When, in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes,
I all alone beweep my outcast state
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries
And look upon myself and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featured like him, like him with friends possess'd,
Desiring this man's art and that man's scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least;
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven's gate;
For thy sweet love remember'd such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.


2 Comments:

Blogger Dina said...

Thanks! I read it out loud now, for the first time in many decades. It's still as true and strong as ever.

1:31 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

It's one I like too :)

2:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home