My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, November 02, 2012

How would Jesus vote?

There was a recent Intelligence Squared debate in the UK on who Jesus would vote for in the upcoming US presidential election. Conor Gearty argued Jesus would vote as a Democrat, James Boys argued he'd vite as a Republican, and Giles Fraser argued in the debate that Jesus would have abstained from voting. Sadly, I can't find the text of the debate, but there should be a forthcoming video of it out soon. The Tablet blog commented on the debate - Jesus would have voted in the US election.

This all makes me think of the recent flurry of Catholic Bishops' exhorarions to vote Republican ... I don't know if Jesus would vote or not, but I don't believe he'd vote for Romney.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Richard said...

I didn't find the Tablet argument very compelling. It seems like Jesus was always seeking to change the capacity of men and women to love one another in a fundamental way despite their religious, ethnic or political affiliations. I don't think he would have seen voting as a means to that end. However, not being Jesus, I did vote for Obama.

9:45 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Richard,

Yeah, I voted for him too.

Maybe Jesus would have voted *as well as* doing all the radical stuff that he seemed to do? He did suggest giving alms to the poor, although in the kingdom of heaven there will probably be no poor.

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home