My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, July 22, 2012

What's so compelling about Ignatius Loyola?



A bit of Fr. Martin's interview on Ignatian spirituality which I mentioned in my earlier post. It gives a sense of what I find so attractive ....

Question:
What's so compelling about Ignatius Loyola?


Fr. Martin:
The insight that really is the beginning of Ignatian spirituality is that God can speak to us through our inner lives .... As Ignatius says, 'the Creator can deal directly with the creature', which was very almost heretical at that time in the church because, you know, God could only, it was thought, deal with the person through the church and the sacraments. So this notion that you could experience God interiorly through your emotions, your feelings, your memories, your desires, everything really, was really radical. And I think that's the real connection for a lot of people today, and Ignatian spirituality - finding God in all things - is I think is also very capacious and people feel at home there ...


The whole discussion is worth a listen :)


2 Comments:

Anonymous Richard said...

Thanks Crystal, its this kind of helpful thought that drew me to the Church in the first place

7:20 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Richard :)

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home