My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, March 19, 2012

Bye to Rowan Williams

I see that Rowan Williams is changing jobs. There's much online to read on the subject, mostly people being sad he's stepping down as Archbishop of Canterbury - I'm probably one of the few that will not be sad he's leaving. There's a lot about him I like .... his article, The Body's Grace ... his poetry ... him standing up to the Vatican on the decision to ordain women bishops.

But when I think of him I also remember ... he wouldn't let Bishop Gene Robinson attend the Lambeth Conference ..... that he told Katharine Jefferts Schori she couldn't wear her hat of office when she preached in his country ... that he kept Jeffrey John from advancing in the church ... that he believes there's "public truth" and "private truth" ... then there's the whole covenant thing .... and ok, I might as well admit I also hate his view of petitionary prayer ;)

But maybe I'm just being nitpicky. I wish him happiness in his next job at Cambridge.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home