My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, May 27, 2011

Two movies: The Debt and The Hunting Party

I saw in the news that Ratko Mladić, Serb military leader and accused war criminal, was arrested - Serbia Says Jailed Mladic Will Face War Crimes Trial. This made me think of two movies: one is upcoming and I haven't yet seen it but it looks like it will be good, the other I have seen but I'm not sure I should recommend it .....

The upcoming film is by British director John Madden (Shakespeare in Love) .... The Debt. The movie stars Helen Mirren, Sam Worthington, and Tom Wilkinson, and is a remake of a 2007 Israeli film of the same name. It tells a story in both the past and present of agents sent in the past to capture a Nazi war criminal, and the weirdness that ensues when the results of that supposedly successful operation come undone in the present.



The movie I'd seen some time ago was The Hunting Party, directed by Richard Shepard and starring Richard Gere and Terrence Howard. It tells of a war correspondent (Richard Gere) who loses his job and tries to get it back by hunting down a Serb war criminal, and is loosely based on an Esquire article about a journalist looking for Ratko Mladic, the guy mentioned in the news story at the top of this post. What makes the film odd is that it's a sort of un-PC satire of what is a pretty serious topic, so caveat emptor.




2 Comments:

Blogger neerav said...

Good reviews for both.
Liked "The Hunting Party".

12:11 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Thanks for the comment :)

1:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home