My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, October 22, 2010

If I could just see a burning bush

Saw a clip (see below) from Love and Death today at In Living Color which includes this theological discussion between Boris (Woody Allen) and Sonja (Diane Keaton) :) .......

Boris: Sonja, what if there is no God?

Sonja: Boris Dimitrovitch, are you joking?

Boris: What if we're just a bunch of absurd people who are running around with no rhyme or reason?

Sonja: But if there is no God, then life has no meaning. Why go on living? Why not just commit suicide?

Boris: Well, let's not get hysterical. I could be wrong. I'd hate to blow my brains out, then see they found something.

Sonja: Boris. Let me show you how absurd your position is. Let's say there is no God, and each man is free to do exactly as he chooses. What prevents you from murdering somebody?

Boris: Murder's immoral.

Sonja: Immorality is subjective.

Boris: Yes, but subjectivity is objective.

Sonja: Not in a rational scheme of perception.

Boris: Perception is irrational. It implies imminence.

Sonja: But judgment of any system of phenomena exists in any rational, metaphysical or epistemological contradiction to an abstracted empirical concept such as being, or to be, or to occur in the thing itself, or of the thing itself.

Boris: Yeah, I've said that many times.

Sonja: Boris, we must believe in God.

Boris: If I could just see a miracle, just one miracle. If I could see a burning bush, or the seas part, or... Or my Uncle Sasha pick up a check ....




8 Comments:

Anonymous Henry said...

Great dialogue Crystal - thanks for posting it.

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Victor said...

Hi again Crystal and Henry,

Woody Allen, now there's a guy who could talk and make us think deeply while making U>S smile in the process of doing "IT" Right? :)

Peace

2:23 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Victor,

Yes :) I haven't seen any of his newer movies but I do like the old ones.

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Henry said...

Crystal,

I am not sure if you go to the Movies, but if you do, go see RED. I saw it tonight with some friends and it was really funny!

Tomorrow I am going to see "Never Let Me Go" with friends from my School of Community. I read the book and I hear the movie is beautiful.

Have a good night my friend!

Pax,

Henry

8:14 PM  
Anonymous Henry said...

Victor,

I still remember seeing "Take the Money and Run", Sleeper and "Bananas" in the theatre with my brother. I rented "Take the Money" a few months ago and they hold up very well!

Of course, Annie Hall is spectacular. I love the scene with McLuhan. Priceless.

BTW, the "Birdcage" is also really funny.

Pax,

Henry

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Henry said...

Crystal,

You would love "Galaxy Quest" since you like sci-fi, it's a fantastic comedy.

Pax,

Henry

8:26 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Henry,

Thanks for the recommendation. I've signed up to rent Red.

Never Let Me Go does sound interesting. I had a past post about it - science fiction :)

11:49 PM  
Anonymous Victor said...

I again Crystal,

Henry, silly me, for some reason, I find it hard to remember titles of most movie but I've brobably seen it. Maybe it's because having grown up with five daughters and now 13 grand children, I never could find the time to realize that it is important to remember titles. :)

But then again when I do look at movies, I let my Soul and Spirit pretend that they are incharge of the film which I find makes it a lot more interesting and now a days they are careful where they mark their xxx, if you know what I mean. Go Figure!

Thanks for the comment and if you want to know more just send me an email and I will answer it in time but like I tell our Anchoress or did she tell me, anyway, you'll need to be patient. :)

God Bless Peace

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home