My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Jesus as Wisdom

Jonathan (MadPriest) posted an interesting sermon for Mothering Sunday. It deals, in part, with Jesus as Wisdom, and is worth a read - MADPRIEST'S BOG-STANDARD SERMON FOR MOTHERING SUNDAY (NOT MOTHERS' DAY), Here's a bit of it ....

[...] Wisdom is seen in the Old Testament as one of the primary characteristics of God and is almost regarded as a separate person within the godhead, and wisdom in this respect is most definitely female. For example, Wisdom, chapter nine, states,

“With you is wisdom, she who knows your works and was present when you made the world; she understands what is pleasing in your sight and what is right according to your commandments. Send her forth from the holy heavens, and from the throne of your glory send her, that she may labour at my side, and that I may learn what is pleasing to you. For she knows and understands all things, and she will guide me wisely in my actions and guard me with her glory.”

It is interesting to note that the Egyptian god of wisdom was the great goddess, Isis, herself. The people of the Middle East definitely believed that wisdom was very much a female characteristic. It is even more interesting to note that, within Christianity, the Wisdom of God becomes the Word of God, and the Word of God becomes the Son of God in his incarnation as Jesus Christ. We have a situation where the preexistence of Jesus within God is not of necessity male. This multi-gendered God became man. Genderwise, the Word was something else before becoming man. That is an important point for us to remember ....


As I was looking up Jesus ans Wisdom, I also saw this paper - Jesus: God's Wisdom by Pheme Perkins at Boston College


2 Comments:

Anonymous Paul Maurice Martin said...

It's also noteworthy, at least to me, that in my life the wisest people have overwhelmingly been female and the most foolish male...

(I, uh, except myself from this indictment lol, most of the time anyway...)

8:56 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

H Paul :)

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home