My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Hallgrímskirkja



If I seem to be posting a lot, it's because I have all this time on my hands now with Kermit gone. I miss her. My solution - post a lot while awake, and sleep as much as possible :).

Liam had a recent post at sententiae et clamores that mentioned architecture, and that reminded me of a church I'd just seen photos of .... Hallgrímskirkja in Reykjavík, Iceland.

The church, named after poet and clergyman Hallgrímur Pétursson and designed by State Architect Guðjón Samúelsson, is Lutheran and is 244 feet high, with a neat statue of Leifr Eiriksson in front. Here are a couple of photos .....


- interior showing the pipe organ


- statue of Leifr, a gift from the US


5 Comments:

Blogger Liam said...

Interesting blend of Gothic and modern.

2:20 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Liam,

Wikipedia says it was influenced by a church in Stockholm - Grundvigskirken, also interesting.

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!

9:33 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Dyan.

10:50 PM  
Blogger cowboyangel said...

Cool. Maybe too modern for my taste, but at least I can appreciate the artistry in this case.

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home